Monday, October 22, 2012

I wish I was a dancer (AM)


On the weekend I went to see a dance performance called Weather, by Lucy Guerin Inc. I loved it very much, and thought I would talk about it today. Be warned though readers, nothing I have to say about it is funny. I just want to talk about it. The only thing slightly funny about it was that one of the dancers looked like a combination of Michael C. Hall (the actor who plays Dexter) and Ethan Hawke, which is not in and of itself funny, but I found him extremely attractive, and that was funny. Let's hope it was the Michael C. and not the Ethan in him that was appealing to me, because I hate to think that something is happening to me that would make me attracted to Ethan Hawke.

But that's not what I'm here to talk about. What I'm here to talk about is that without fail, every time I see a dance performance, within a minute I wish I had followed a (completely different) path and become a dancer. The way those people can move their bodies makes me think that to be able to do that would be one of the best things a person could do with their lives. I think this even though I know the reality is all tears and sprains and breaks and agony. But the way it looks, readers, the way it looks! It's as though a perfect song, a perfect sentence, a perfect taste and a perfect smell have all come together to become the most perfect of all the things. One perfect thing to rule them all.  It makes me forget how much I like everything else, on the spot, and it kills me a little inside because I know it's too late to become a dancer. You see what I mean, guys? There's nothing funny about this, I'm just telling you how I feel.

And while I'm here, I might as well also tell you that because this particular performance was about the weather, it reminded me of something from when I was little. How I used to look at clouds, those huge thick billowing ones and I used to imagine how soft they would be to touch. I used to want to touch them so much, it would make my tiny little heart ache with longing, and from knowing I never could.  That's how I feel about dancing. I would give anything to be able to touch a cloud and have it feel like I imagine, and to be able to dance properly. Also, to play the cello, but I don't ache for it the way I ache for clouds and dancing.

So that's what I wanted to say today. If you're still with me, I think you guys should watch this. It shows a tiny little bit of the show, and if you look carefully you can see Dexthan.

http://www.abc.net.au/arts/stories/s3613379.htm?WT.ac=TV_TV-Arts%7Cweather-Guerin_ABC%7CABCArts%3Cbr%3E

No comments:

Post a Comment